Nottingham Revenue and Benefits Ltd. Is wholly owned by Nottingham City Council and provides transactions services both to the city council and other local authorities including but not limited to council tax administration and debt recovery, benefits administration and adult care financial assessments billing and debt recovery.
The business is seeking to recruit to the above post where high levels of administration accuracy are paramount and where debt recovery experience and skills would also be advantageous.
To be responsible for dealing with Council Tax administration and Recovery. To deal directly with customers of the service over the telephone, in writing and face to face to accurately administer Council Tax and maximise collection through a variety of debt collection methods.
Full training and support will be provided to ensure you develop a full technical working knowledge of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support to ensure delivery against the service purpose; to help people pay their rent and Council Tax.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- To develop and maintain a technical, working knowledge of Council Tax administration and Council Tax recovery to enable accurate billing and to maximise collection.
- To work as a team member and contribute ideas to assist in improving the work and customer experience.
- To assist in identifying barriers to delivery against the purpose and work with colleagues and peers to improve the system.
- To be responsible for your personal development.
- To contribute to the collation of, and performance against a range of measures.
- To gain an understanding of customer requirements and demonstrate flexibility and work towards resolving the customers needs.
- To keep abreast of legislative changes; developments and policy and to gain a full understanding of IT systems, procedures and end to end systems.
- To work hours according to the needs of the service and be flexible in resource and rota arrangements to meet the needs of customer demand.
- To develop an understanding of the end to end systems relating to Council Tax administration and collection.
- To liaise with public and outside bodies as necessary, including the rent officer, hostels, benefit agency, job centres, private companies and customer representatives.
- To foster effective working relationships with peers and staff at all levels in order to deliver continuous improvement.
- To be able to make decisions to meet the needs of the customer and deliver against the purpose.
- To present a professional image of Nottingham Revenue & Benefits Ltd. (NRB) and Nottingham City Council at all times while on duty and/or identifiable as an employee.
- Operate, maintain and accurately update the Revenue and Benefit systems and any other associated technology.
- To work flexibly on both Nottingham City Council work and also that of other clients of either Northgate Public Services or NRB ltd. contracts as appropriate
1. Technical requirements
- A basic knowledge of the legislation in relation to the council tax administration & recovery
- Experience in using Microsoft packages to produce correspondence and spreadsheets
- Ability to perform Council Tax administration to the required statutory and internal standards.
- Experience of directly dealing with customers across a range of access channels and resolving queries.
- A basic knowledge of effective income collection techniques.
- An understanding of the application of systems thinking to deliver continuous improvement
2. Work to promote mutual respect and good relations
- Knowledge of customer care practices and procedures
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the diverse nature of Nottingham’s communities and workforce, the implications for service delivery and the impact on customers
- Ability to recognise the different needs of customers and colleagues and adjust individual approach accordingly.
3. Skills & Abilities: Interpersonal
- The ability to identify ways to remove barriers and improve the work to achieve continuous improvement.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with peers and other staff within the organisation to develop personal knowledge and build knowledge within the peer group.
- Ability to show initiative in responding to the customer requirements and taking measures to ensure that work is dealt with through to resolution.
- Ability to create an environment conducive to continuous improvement, and present ideas and develop solutions to barriers.
- Ability to prioritise and manage personal day to day activities in order to deliver against the service purpose and meet customer needs.
- To demonstrate individual commitment to improving the system for customers.
- Ability to perform duties through to conclusion, reducing the level of waste and passing work on from the system.
5. . Work related circumstances
- To demonstrate flexibility in working hour rotas to meet the customer demand
- Ability and willingness to travel both inside and outside the council area as required
Experience with debt collection would be advantageous.
Appointed candidates may be required to undertake a level 4 apprenticeship in revenues.
PLEASE NOTE - You will be required to work from home as part of this role.
If you are interested in this role, click Apply now.