Nottingham Revenue and Benefits Ltd. Is wholly owned by Nottingham City Council and provides transactions services both to the city council and other local authorities including but not limited to council tax administration and debt recovery, benefits administration and adult care financial assessments billing and debt recovery.
The business is seeking to recruit to the above post where high levels of administration accuracy are paramount and where debt recovery experience and skills would also be advantageous.
To be responsible for the effective administration, processing, reconciliation of payments and recovery of income associated with charges for customers receiving either residential care or care in their own home. To deal directly with customers and or their representatives through a variety of channels.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Retrieve and collate citizen information for assessment purposes via departmental manual / computer records. This may sometimes involve extensive work searching through records and contacting other members of the department and other external agencies to establish accurate citizen information.
- Manage referrals from Adult Social Care for citizens requiring a financial assessment using a number of adult social care systems
- To interrogate the Adult Social care systems and gather sufficient information to ensure that the appropriate representative is involved in the process.
- To liaise with the customer and/ or their representative and outside bodies as necessary, including residential homes, Department for Works and Pensions, Legal representatives, care providers, NHS, advocacy agencies in a professional manner using multiple communication channels.
- To effectively gather and input data from financial assessments to ensure accurate and timely invoices/financial statements are issued to the customer or their representative.
- To provide a telephone service, ensuring that you demonstrate a professional, sensitive and sympathetic approach when dealing with citizens who are predominantly elderly or disabled.
- To administer accounts and financial controls, including the recovery of overdue accounts in a sensitive, diplomatic and tactful manner.
- To maintain a working knowledge of charging legislation to ensure that all financial assessments are calculated in accordance with statutory guidance and Department of Health legislation, charging policies and benefit entitlements.
- Provide written / verbal explanations and advice to citizens, representatives and external bodies in relation to assessments, charging and benefits including producing financial statements. Ensure all information is provided in a clear and sensitive manner.
- To accurately maintain financial information through effective use of the associated IT systems and manual processes in line with office practice.
- To liaise with colleagues across the company and develop an understanding of their roles to ensure effective working relationships
- To attend and actively participate in team meetings.
- To assist the Team Manager in project work as and when required.
- To work flexibly to meet the contractual needs of the company and of various citizens.
- Good level of numeracy and literacy in order to interpret and process financial information and carry out financial calculations.
- Knowledge of Department of Health legislation associated with the assessment and charging for Residential and Community based services.
- Knowledge of means and non means tested welfare benefits
2. Skills/Abilities, Interpersonal
- Ability to organise and prioritise work in a team environment, working to deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively in a confident manner, adapting style as appropriate
- Ability to be sensitive to the needs of work colleagues and customers.
- Ability to produce written information and correspondence to a high standard
- Ability to work on own initiative with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to persuade and influence others showing awareness of own interpersonal style and adapting behaviour in order to achieve co-operation and meet targets.
- Possess an inquiring mind, and an innovative approach to resolution of problems
- Ability to understand and adapt to new ways of working, relevant technologies and approaches
- Ability to interpret statutory & internal guidance and, identify and recommend good practice
- Ability to effectively deal with and respond to members of the public, demonstrating empathy and understanding.
3. Information technology
- Experience of using computerised financial systems.
- Experience of using spreadsheets to manage and maintain financial information.
- Ability to use digital platforms to support customer service (digital telephony, mobile technology)
- Experience of providing advice and information to customers, peers and other organisations.
- Experience of working in a team environment, managing diverse workloads and being responsive to customer demand.
- Experience of utilising a range of IT systems to produce easily understandable information
5. . Work to promote mutual respect and good relations
- Understanding of and commitment to Equality & Diversity as described in Nottingham City Council’s Equality & Diversity policy
- Experience of developing positive relationships with colleagues and partner organisations.
- Willingness to work outside normal office hours to ensure deadlines are met
Experience with debt collection would be advantageous.
Appointed candidates may be required to undertake a level 4 apprenticeship in revenues.
PLEASE NOTE - You will be required to work from home as part of this role.
If you are interested in this role, click Apply now.